The orphanage, initially known as the Asylum for Fatherless Children, was established in 1844 in Richmond by Andrew Reed, a minister.
Needing larger premises, the orphanage first moved to Stoke Newington and then in 1846 to Stamford Hill and finally, a purpose-built orphanage was opened in1858 in Purley. The orphanage included a school for the children. A non-sectarian church was added in 1879.
The orphanage closed in 1980.
A trust still carries the Reedham name and and the Reedham Museum are based in the Lodge building of the orphanage.
Andrew Reed was also very involved in the London Orphan Asylum and the Infant Orphan Asylum.
Looking for more information?
For information about finding records, please contact the historian of the Reedham Old Scholars' Association by email.